Welcome to the Steve Biko Academic Hospital
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is a purely tertiary healthcare institution, rendering specialized and highly specialized services to medically referred patients. It is a referral hospital in that patients are referred to the institution by their local clinics
[ more on South Africa's healthcare structure ].
The Steve Biko Academic Hospital is situated about 800 meters directly north of the Tshwane District Hospital. The main access to the hospital is off Steve Biko Road left at the traffic light into Malan Street.
Unique features of the hospital
- State-of-the-art medical equipment to the total value of R442million has been procured for the new hospital, including an MRI Scanner, two 64-Slice CT Scanners, totally digital radiology, Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS), etc.
- Only teaching hospital in South Africa that accommodates the hospital and University Clinical Department’s offices in one building.
- Operating Theatres, ICU’s, X-rays and associated wards are on same floor. Operating theatre patients are therefore not dependant on lift transport.
- Largest cook/chill kitchen in South Africa,
- Compact design - only six entrances,
- 832 beds
- 53 ICU beds,
- 21 High Care beds,
- 61 Observation places,
- 108 Beds in the Oncology Complex.
- 21 Operating theatres (19 active),
- 19 Lifts,
- 80 Consulting rooms
- New Computed Tomography (PET-CT) scanner
- Help Desk :
012 354 1590/1597
Office hours only
- Emergency Patients: Only Priority 1 and 2 patients will be seen at the Steve Biko Academic Hospital. These are patients in need of Emergency Specialist Medical Care, i.e. life threatening within 2 hours, which cannot be rendered at the Regional- or District Hospital, the clinic or the Medical practitioner.
- Steve Biko Academic Hospital is a academic hospital. No walk-in patients will be seen