Head of Department of General Surgery
Professor/Associate Professor/Senior Lecturer
R1 280 781 per annum plus commuted overtime benefits
MMed(Surg) or FCS(SA) or HPCSA approved equivalent qualification
- Registration with the HPCSA as a Specialist General Surgeon in the category independent practice.
- At least six years appropriate post 4 registration experience as a Specialist.
- National and international academic standing in the discipline.
- Recommended requirements — strong leadership, training and organisational skills.
Administrate Undergraduate and postgraduate academic program in line with National and International norms and standards.
- Have clinical responsibility over all patients admitted and seen in the Department and a detailed responsibility to patients in the clinical unit.
- Prepare and supervise implementation of clinical guidelines and protocols. Plan and direct regular clinical audits.
- Supervise and advise junior doctors in patient care.
- Participate in patient care according to need and duty lists.
- Assist with training of other health workers when requested to do so.
- Participate in public education programs concerning health. To refer patients, council patients and families on their health problems.
- To contribute to the development of knowledge and policy by appropriate clinical and laboratory research.
- Liaise with senior and provincial management and generate research funds.
- Reports to the CEO and Head of School, communication with Medical Superintendent, nursing service, Registrars, Medical Officers, Intems and nursing, patients’ families and care givers, referring doctors and Health Professionals.
- Liaison on day-to- day managing of the Department of Surgery at SBAH, Kalafong Hospital, Witbank- and I Military Hospital.
- Liaison with academic heads of departments of the University of Pretoria. Participation in committee structures and activities of the School of Medicine of the University of Pretoria.
Applications to be sent to
SBAH: Human Resource Department,
Private Bag X169, Pretoria 0001,
3rd Floor, to Mr JJ Ngcobo’s office
5 Floor Room 5-2438
Prof BG Lindeque: Tel 012 354 1201
Dr E Kenoshi: Tel 012 354 2222